Several years ago, Mindvalley decided that Valentine’s Day shouldn’t just be one day just for lovers.
It should be an entire week where everybody gets to experience a little love and appreciation.
At the workplace.
After all, why shouldn’t the place where we spend the majority of our waking hours be filled with more connection, joy, and happiness?
So we decided to run a week-long experiment of anonymous gifting, love, and kindness among all our employees.
And the result of bringing so much “love” into the workplace was extraordinary. Productivity among our employees sky-rocketed. Watch the video above to see what happened at our Mindvalley headquarters in previous years.
From Experiment to Tradition to Global Movement
So why shouldn’t all workplaces prioritize happiness?
When you make love and care part of your company culture, you create an environment that encourages and enables employees to bond and connect with each other.
Various studies have proven that friendships at work boost productivity and company growth. When you make love and care part of your company culture, you create an environment that encourages and enables employees to bond and connect with each other.
Since sharing Love Week with the world, many companies around the world have joined us in this awesome tradition.
Why not bring this to your company?
Love Week 2017 takes place from February 13th to February 17th — for five days of amazing giving and receiving at the office.
Before Love Week starts, everyone draws a name of someone to be a ‘”Secret Angel” to for Love Week without revealing their identity. Each person plays a “secret angel” and “a human” to somebody — read below for more guidelines on how to bring Love Week to your workplace.
And we want you to get your company to join in.
Note — this will shift your company culture and you will continue doing this every year. It’s that powerful.
How Love Week Transforms Your Company Culture and Boosts Your Productivity Over the LONG TERM
Love Week is an annual cultural ritual at Mindvalley and many other companies that encourage the act of receiving and giving, social support, and appreciation amongst employees. It’s the most engaging yearly culture tradition at Mindvalley that has increased productivity and forged stronger friendships among employees.
But it gets better.
Studies have shown that happiness is the most important social support you receive in the workplace.
This Gallup study finds that providing social support generates greater productivity in the long run. And this 2008 Gallup Consulting study concluded that employee engagement is a force that drives business outcomes, and that engaged employees are more productive, profitable, and customer-focused.
According to Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work, 95% of people who give no social support at work have no work engagement. Meanwhile, true work-altruists (those who provide the most) are about ten times as likely to be highly engaged in their work — and therefore, productivity — than work-isolators.
Tom Rath, the author of the best-selling Vital Friends: The People You Can’t Afford to Live Without, found that people who have a best friend at work are seven times as likely to be engaged in their job.
Another study by Gallup Consulting discovered that 75% of participants who had a best friend at work planned to be with their companies for at least another year.
In short — LOVE matters. Even in the workplace.
This video shows the result it has had on members of our team.
How Do You Bring Love Week to YOUR Workplace?
Everyone adds their names to a hat. Then each person draws out a name (at random), regardless of gender or rank. The name you draw is your “Human,” which makes you their “Secret Angel.”
Your duty as a “Secret Angel” is to show love and appreciation for your “Human” throughout Love Week in creative, mysterious and secretive ways (check out our tips below). You do this anonymously!
Remember that while you are a “Secret Angel,” someone else is also being a Secret Angel to you. So you too will be receiving love and appreciation from him or her all week long
Your identity as a “Secret Angel” should only be revealed to your “Human” after Love Week ends. At Mindvalley, for instance, we do this at our weekly team meeting, the Awesomeness Report, on Tuesday the following week.
Follow Mindvalley’s updates on our Facebook page and Instagram or Twitter feed at @mindvalley.
Suggestions And Tips For Your Love Week
1. You don’t have to spend lavish amounts to show your “Human” love and appreciation! It’s always the thought and effort that counts. Surprise them with their favorite coffee or decorate their desk. Be creative.
2. While you can be generous and spend on gifts, Love Week doesn’t require cash! Some ideas: create a Spotify playlist, send them empowering quotes, set up a temporary Tumblr account dedicated to them, or create a customized (anonymouse) Pinterest board of their goals and interests. The ideas are infinite.
3. Collaborate with other Secret Angels! Send another person to serenade your “Human,” deliver a gift, or have a work-friend recite a favorite poem or quote on your behalf.
4. Can’t get your entire company to participate in Love Week? Do it just within your department or with your team. Small actions will have a “domino-effect” on others.
5. Bring Love Week to your community, family or a society/club that you’re part of. Love Week isn’t just for companies and even be done virtually! Just get creative and innovate.
6. Turn Love Week into your own personal campaign! Perform random acts of kindness to a stranger, volunteer at a local community, or even show the environment some love each day of Love Week, or donate to a cause you feel strongly about.
7. Be your own “Secret Angel” and make Love Week a week of self-love and appreciation for yourself. Head to the spa, take an hour off to do something you absolute love doing, or treat yourself to that must-have that you’ve been eyeing for a while now. Self-love is powerful too.
9. Check out Mindvalley’s Love Week 2014 album to see examples of what our Secret Angels were up to last year!
And comment below on your thoughts of Love Week or how you’re planning to foster love within your workplace or circle of friends and family.
Happy Love Week,
— Your Mindvalley Family